Back to the group page

Alfred Pinsky studied art with Anne Savage at BBHS and with Goodridge Roberts, Arthur Lismer and Eldon Grier at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts where he won a scholarship for the period 1938-39. Pinsky continued his training in New York City at the Art Students’ League as well as at the Contemporary Arts School under John Senhauser and at St. Mark’s Art Centre with Viviano and B. Kerr.

 

After  serving in the air force during WWII he returned to study art at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts School and soon after opened the “Montreal Artists’ School” in cooperation with Ghitta Caiserman, Harold and Barbara Goodwin (from U.S.A.) and Karl Rix. In 1959, Pinsky joined Sir George Williams University (now Concordia) as a part-time lecturer in Fine Arts. In 1960, he became a full-time lecturer and chair of the newly-created Department of Fine Arts. In 1975 he was appointed Dean of Fine Arts, a position he held to 1980. He retired from Concordia University in 1996.

You can see his 1938 graduating class photo when he was known as Ralph Pinsky